Alina's Yum Khai Dao
Yum Khai Dao is a delicious Thai fried egg salad. Bursting with flavor from fresh tomatoes, bird's eye chili, lime, and fish sauce, this dish is perfect for warm summer nights when you don't want to heat up your kitchen. Also, who doesn't love a crispy fried egg?!
Photo Credit: Wikimedia
YUM KHAI DAO
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tbsp fresh Thai chili, chopped
- 2 stalks fresh coriander or cilantro, chopped
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 Tbsp shallot, sliced
- 3-4 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp palm sugar
- 1 Tbsp chili paste (nam prik pao)
- Make the dressing: Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, and chili paste - Mix well. Then, add shallots and coriander/cilantro.
- Fry the eggs, Thai style: Shallow fry them in oil, using a spoon to baste the tops of the eggs with hot oil. The edges should be brown and crispy when done. Remove from the oil and set aside when cooked, and then cut them in half.
- Mix the fresh veggies (chili and tomato) with the dressing and fried eggs, and serve. Enjoy!