Michael Dadap’s Spicy Lemongrass, Ginger, Chicken Soup
Looking for the perfect recipe to enjoy with a dab of Djablo hot sauce? Look no further! This recipe is courtesy of Laura Dadap, the founder of Djablo, and her dad Michael. Laura says it's her go-to for comfort food anytime she feels herself coming down with a cold or feeling a little blue.
Spicy Lemongrass, Ginger, Chicken Soup
- Chicken (Whatever parts of the chicken you prefer to eat! Laura likes to use thighs and drumsticks. You can even throw a whole chicken in a big pot.)
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 2" chunk of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sized long Italian pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- Leafy green veggie (Laura uses bok choy or spinach)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8ths
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Peel the outer layer of lemongrass off and chop off the bottom of the stalk. Pound it out with a meat tenderizer and then tie it in a knot.
- Peel the skin off of a 2" inch chunk of ginger and slice thinly.
- If you like the soup extra spicy, poke a hole in the long Italian pepper.
- Rinse chicken and put in a large pot with lemongrass, ginger, and long Italian pepper. Fill with water until everything is covered.
- Turn the stove to med/high and bring the pot to a rolling boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Chop and prep other vegetables.
- Add yellow onion and bring the pot back to a rolling boil again. Then, turn back down to a simmer. Repeat the process by adding leafy green vegetables and tomato.
- Serve and enjoy!
Laura likes to eat this with white rice and a little bowl of fish sauce mixed with lemon and a teaspoon of Djablo Original!