Street Food: Shrimp Rolls
The loud crunches of your first bite into a deep fried shrimp roll cant be beat. Who loves it as much as we do? 🙋🏻♀️
Makes 10 Shrimp Rolls
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup oil (yes we are deep frying baby!!)
- 10 shrimps🦐, roughly 1/2 a pound tails on
- Salt & Pepper to your liking
- 5 square ⬜️ egg roll or lumpia wrappers, cut in half into 10 triangles 📐
- 1 tablespoon water 💦
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch🌽, tapioca starch, or potato starch🥔 for sealing
- Your choice of dipping sauce- we like to use sweet chili sauce, used for lumpia!
Prepare your wrappers
- Thaw out your wrappers if frozen
- Fold to cut into 10 triangle shapes
*Sometimes wrappers stick together, make sure to double check before rolling
Prepare your shrimp
- Peel and devein your shrimp, leave tails on
- Salt and pepper shrimp lightly to marinate, adjust your salt according to your choice of dip. Note: Some dips are saltier than others!
- Set aside for 10 minutes (We usually prep this before we cut our wrappers)
- Mix starch of choice with water to create a slurry to seal your shrimp rolls
Roll your shrimp rolls
- To begin, place one egg roll wrapper in front of you with one point of the long side of the triangle shaped wrapper towards you.
- Place shrimp & fold bottom edge of the wrapper over the shrimp.
- Roll until you met the end of the wrapper
- In a deep pan medium or large pan, add 1/2 cup of oil.
- *Heat oil to 375F
- Fry Fry Fry ! Don't overcrowd and fry about 3 at a time
Enjoy with your fave dipping sauce ! 🍤🍤🍤🍤
*Pro tip: If you don't have a temperature gauge to check your oil temp, take a wooden chopstick and dip in oil. If tiny bubbles appear around the chopsticks, your oil is ready!
Photo courtesy of devour Asia