Christy's Lao Isan Laap
A popular Lao Isan minced meat salad flavored with fish sauce, lime juice, padaek, roasted sticky rice and fresh herbs. Traditionally eaten with sticky rice or in a lettuce wrap.
Serves 2 (about 6 wraps)
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb ground or minced protein of choice (recommended: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, or tofu)
- 1 tbsp toasted sticky rice powder
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh bird eye chili, diced
- 1/3 cup mint leaves
- ⅓ cup culantro, diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, diced
- 1/3 cup shallots, diced
- 1/3 cup scallions, diced
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tbsp minced or powdered galangal*
- 1 tbsp padaek*
1 tsp dried chili flakes*
- In a shallow pan, toast sticky rice grains on low heat until golden brown. Remove from heat and grind in a mortar until it turns to powder (note: can also blitz in a blender)
- Heat a large skillet to medium high, add ground protein and use 1-2 tbsp of water to prevent from burning as needed, no oil. Cook until browned.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked protein, padaek, and fish sauce to taste. Mix gently.
- Add chili, galangal, lime juice, shallots, and fresh herbs (mint, culantro, and cilantro) to the bowl. Mix thoroughly until everything is coated. Toss in toasted rice powder.
- Garnish and eat with sticky rice or as lettuce wraps.